Taking advantage of the resources on the Internet is a great way to stay “in the know” and help understand what is happening in your disability claim. Whether you are an insured or an agent, the insurance companies try to use the claims process to their advantage by frequently tweaking policy interpretations and creating unnecessarily complex procedures and processes as hoops to jump through to obtain disability benefits.
Here are a few resources that are useful to help comprehend what you’re up against in the claim process and provide some information on different types of disability coverages:
- Insurance Consumers – Disability Insurance: This website is a great overview of disability insurance, from obtaining a policy, to filing a claim, to understanding the claim examination process. It’s a great starting point for understanding disability insurance.
- Social Security Disability Resource Center: While our firm does not normally handle Social Security claims, many of our clients are required by their insurance company to also file for Social Security disability benefits. This resource has proven useful for people to understand that separate process.
- “Trust Law as Regulatory Law: The UNUM/Provident Scandal and Judicial Review of Benefit Denials under ERISA,” by John H. Langbein, Professor, Yale Law School: If you have the time, this is a very interesting (but long) legal academic study on the UNUM controversy from a few years ago. A very informative and eye-opening article on bad faith practices in the insurance claims industry.
- LifeHealthPro – Disability: This is an up-to-date listing of current events and news articles about disability insurance, Social Security, and other aspects of the disability world. It is a good resource for current issues in the industry and to keep track of new developments.
- Insurance Forums: This forum is a great place for agents and consumers alike to ask questions and find information on a range of different disability insurance policies and companies.
These are just a few of the many resources available on the Internet to help you better understand disability insurance and the disability claim process. Knowing more will help you take ownership of your disability claim and give you a fighting chance with the insurance company claim department instead of going to them, blindly assuming that they’ll pay you fairly, accurately, and timely.
Realizing the underlying reasons for the actions of the insurance company along knowing and exercising your rights are vital to a successful disability insurance claim. If you would like to share any other good resources or want to comment on the sites provided here, please do so in the comments section!
As always, you may visit our website or call us at 855.828.4100 for more information on how our firm can help you!